Friday, December 3, 2010

Dollar stores rock

When I first moved from Syracuse NY to sunny South Florida I discovered that I was in need of a few misplaced items.  Nothing too serious.  Just silverware, cups, things like that.  The thought about having to actually shop for such mundane things made the time from discovery to actual purchase quite a while. I had a plastic takeout fork, knife, spoon combo pack that came complete with a napkin and a salt/pepper  one-hitter.  The napkin didn't last very long, but I got a lot of mileage out of the plastic cutlery.  This was until one sad moment when both the fork and the spoon broke during the same meal.  Sure I could have just gotten more take out, but there comes a time in ones life when you just have to move out of the trailer.  Even if it's just proverbially. 

On the way home from work the next day I passed the one store where I was going to get what I needed.  Looking over my shoulder, I saw the parking lot was overflowing and knew that I didn't have the patience to wait in line for 1 fork, 1 knife and 1 spoon.  I just couldn't justify it.  So after I turned my head back forward and narrowly avoiding slamming into a car... oops, sorry... I found myself waiting at a stoplight.  Casually I glanced around and what did I see?  Why it was a local dollar store.  They say everything is a dollar, but that's just a lie.  

I pulled in to the empty lot and strolled right in.  The rather nice lady behind the counter said hello and asked if I needed any assistance.  I inquired as to if they sold cutlery she smiled, said yes and pointed me in the right direction.  I grabbed 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 teaspoon and 1 table spoon.  Glancing around I saw a cheap pot, and I do mean cheap in every sense of the word.  But after dumping all my money into a down payment on the condo, cheap was calling my name. 

I took my new items to the register and she smiled again and said, "this is all you need?"  
"Yup," I replied.  "I live alone and don't have time to have anyone over, so why get more than I need?"
She shrugged and was trying to formulate what she was going to say next, but I cut her off as she was struggling. 
"Besides, this way I have to wash my dishes right away."
This satisfied her and though she didn't say it, I could sense that she wished that she had it that easy as well.  

I took my items and left.  A new fan of the dollar store and it's ridiculously low quality items.  The pot lasted about a year before it just couldn't be salvaged.  The fork, knife and spoons live on though... much to the dismay of my wife as I slipped them into the drawer with her complete set when we bought the house.  

I still joke to my wife about wanting to go into any dollar store that we go by.  She always elects to pass. But, with my latest discovery, I may have a new argument.



Nothing says class like having to dress up to go to that uppity old Wal-Mart!

No comments:

Post a Comment