Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The dog ate my homework

This is my lovable pooch, Largo.

Cute eh?  She is a rescued dog who has pretty much taken over our home.  She's the queen and we're just here to serve her.  I never had a dog as a kid.  The folks wouldn't allow it.  Not that they didn't think that I'd take care of her.  They were opposed to the hair that would no doubt take over their impeccably clean home.  So I never had any one to blame but myself for "lost" or "missing" homework.  I also never had a pal to pass undesirable food to under the table as a kid.  I do now, except as an adult I never make brussel sprouts, dumplings or liver for myself.  (Three things that would make me sit at the table for hours until the battle of wills between me and my mom would result in me stuffing my mouth, excusing myself and spitting them into the toilet.)  So I feel that we're wasting her fullest potential. Sad.

In a recent post I was explaining my obsession with guitars and how I had gotten a DVD instruction series.  The thing I failed to mention was that my best friend doesn't want me to practice.  Any time I go pick up a guitar, she's there.  It's not so much that I don't want an audience as I practice, it's that she sits there and pants till a puddle of drool is at her feet.  Given the opportunity, she'll keep inching closer until she has her head in my lap, eyes looking up and sad.  OK.  Let's go outside and play right? No, she'll just lay down and chill.  Uugh. Go back in, pick up the guitar and it's right back to square one.

Recently I also purchased the Rosetta Stone German instruction DVD and have been trying to learn the native language of my ancestors.  Largo seems to have other ideas about that as well.  I can be on the computer doing anything, and I do mean anything and she'll lay around comatose. As soon as it's time to do my "homework" with the DVD, she nuzzles up to me, leans on me or pants and drools all over the floor again holding one paw up in the air.

Yes it is cute, albeit annoying when you're trying to make yourself a better, more well rounded person.  But it doesn't stop there.  Watch T.V.? Sure.  No problem.  Pick up the controller to the Wii? She's having none of it.  Of course, the wife likes it because then she can finally beat me at Mario Cart.  I think she got so sick of losing at Wii games that she some how trained Largo to disrupt me. After coming to that conclusion, I decided to ignore her which lead to these shenanigans:


Yeah, hop up on the couch and lay on me.  That's always encouraged with a 95 pound dog.

I never got the chance to use the dog ate my homework excuse as a kid which makes me feel left out of that little slice of Americana.  But if you're wondering, that excuse still doesn't work as an adult, when my wife asks how my various lessons are going.


No comments:

Post a Comment