Friday, October 29, 2010

Creepy clowns

It's Halloween time.  A time for ghosts, ghouls and the worst of all... clowns.  I never had nightmares of clowns, but i never wanted to be near one either.  I remember as a kid being at some event where clowns were hired to entertain and they creeped the hell out of me.  I don't know if it was the goofball antics, the over the top showmanship or that they smelled really bad.  All I know was that I wanted nothing to do with them.

 I don't care if they look like this :

 this:


or this:


They're damn creepy no matter who is under the goofy hair.  Any adult that is in their right mind doesn't want to glop colorful makeup on, dress in big gimicky clothing and go around acting like an idiot.


I know.  Too easy. 

A couple of years ago we were at a charity walk/5k run.  My father-in-law was approached by a female clown and she tried to engage him in some so-called merriment.  He wanted nothing to do with it and actually told her that "Clowns are creepy and scare people."  She actually started to cry.  Made me laugh, but he felt bad and tried to make it up to her by going along with her schtick.  Her heart wasn't in it and we soon were off to let her reexamine her lifestyle choice alone.  

I don't know if she ever went back to clowning, but if she did I wonder if she took on a more jaded view.  Perhaps instead of trying to bring joy she now tries to get even and strike fear in the hearts of men and small children.  If so, this is her weekend to shine.  Don't believe me? Today I overheard two kids arguing over going to a haunted house.  The younger was protesting.

"No! No! No! No! I don't wanna go!"
"Why not," asked the older kid?
"Because there's supposed to be a clown there! If there's a clown there I'm not going!"

Good for you little tyke! It's future leaders like you that avoid people like these at all costs.




No comments:

Post a Comment