Monday, November 1, 2010

Candy day is over

So Halloween came and went and what have I learned? The dog will go nuts with repeated doorbell rings? Nope.  Well aware of that.  That I need to get rid of as much candy as possible so that I don't engorge myself with the left overs? Um, no.  Is it that teenagers are typically surly asses who come without costumes and try to intimidate candy out of you?  Nope, already knew that too.

I still think Larry David had it right in the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where he doesn't give so said teenagers candy solely on principal.  Yeah, they get their revenge, but so what.  They still didn't get the candy, had to waste money, time and the worst thing a teenager can ever give up, effort to get their revenge.

Last night after a meager fifteen or so kids came and went, I was ready to pack it in and call it a Halloween. Pretty pathetic numbers after last year where we were probably fifty to sixty deep of booger eaters.  Just before the lights went out there came the ring.  As soon as it came (just around 9) I knew that it was my Larry David moment.  Sure enough.  As I opened the door there they were.  Four teenagers in normal clothes, backpacks worn on their chests, surly as all hell.  Not even a "trick or treat."

I was at a crossroads.  Do I really care?  No, but there is part of my brain saying, "screw them."  I'm not fearing them to do any damage to my house.  I could easily catch any of them and when they saw my dog they were a little standoffish.  So what should I do?  Just give them candy? Let them succeed by rewarding their effort of doing the very least?  Is that really the message I want to impart to the youth of America?  Can I go to bed tonight knowing that I didn't use this as a teaching moment?

Or should I gather the youth of today, sit them down and explain how a good honest effort, a little creativity and yes, maybe even a little elbow grease will make their reward all the more satisfying.  Would I sleep better knowing that I did what their own parents have given up on; dispensing a little tough love?

So I made my decision.  I looked them square in the eyes, smiled and dumped handfuls of candy in their bags and told them to have a great night.

So what I learned from Halloween this year was that I hate other peoples kids and really don't care if they learn anything or not. Actually, I already knew that too.  But I got rid of a lot of fattening candy so that's good for me.  And besides, if you want satisfaction, eat a Snickers and leave me alone.  All I know is that I slept great last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment