Thursday, November 4, 2010

I love the news

And Huey Lewis to boot.  No really I'm talking about the news news.  They so often tell us, the uninformed if you will, about things that we would never have understood, guessed or figured out on our own.  For example on various news sources today we are being told that despite the election of so many republicans to office that it hasn't ended the discord between them and President Obama.   Really?  Let's just take a moment to think about that.

No really, I'll wait.

Huh...

Here I thought that with the loss of ultimate power he'd be like, "Aw gosh... schucks... (heavy sigh, hands in pockets, head held low, kicks a pebble) I guess we should let bygones be bygones."  Then he'd pull his hand out of his pocket, shake hands with John Boehner and surprise him with a joy buzzer.  Thus signaling an end to partisan politics.  And we live happily ever after.

Guess I was wrong.  It's a darn good thing that Yahoo news was there to show me the errors of my ways.

What else...

In Zimbabwe a pride of lions killed a man showering in a nature reserve viewing area.  Maybe they were a little more reserved... yeah... that was a terrible joke.  I'm not sure, but if I ever go to Zimbabwe nature reserve, showering isn't going to be my main concern.  I don't care if I'm there for a week, I'd rather put up with my own stink than be caught in a situation where my only defense is one of those fuzzy scrubber balls.

In entertainment news Aretha Franklin was told by doctors to cancel all appearances until May.  Well it wasn't so much doctors as the forklift needed to get her out of the house and to the concerts was too slow to keep her schedule.

"Actor" David Cassidy was arrested for DUI in Florida after police pulled him over for swerving all over the road.  David told police that he had only consumed a 1/2 glass of wine and a pain pill... Apparently "pain pill" to bad sitcom actors of the 70's is a half-empty bottle of bourbon, which was found in the back seat.   He also said that he was tired from attending a funeral... he attended, he didn't actually grab a shovel and dig the grave, but whatever.  He also sent the AP an email to thank family, friends and fans for their love and support... and did so by name... all four of them.

The last, but not least thing I learned from the news today was that Sparky Anderson, long time baseball manager died today.  "Sparky"was the Detroit manager the day the Tigers came to old Comiskey Park for a double header with the White Sox.  July 12, 1979 will forever be remembered for Steve Dahl's Disco Demolition night.  For 98 cents and a disco record you were allowed into the ballpark.  The Sox were 19 1/2 game back and drawing about 5,000 to a game.  However that night there were people literally crawling up the walls trying to get in.   Between games Steve, the commander-in-chief of the Insane Coho Lips anti-disco army blew up most of the record that were brought to the game.  Afterwards a fun-loving riot broke out and Sparky called for the Sox to forfeit the game.  The game was conceded and Sparky said he feared for his life.  Seeing that he in fact passed from dementia, perhaps he was right all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment